The Naturals (the Naturals, Book 1) by Jennifer Lynn BarnesThe Naturals (the Naturals, Book 1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Naturals (the Naturals, Book 1)

byJennifer Lynn Barnes

Paperback | October 7, 2014

Pricing and Purchase Info

$10.99

Earn 55 plum® points

Prices and offers may vary in store

Quantity:

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But, it's not a skill that she's ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they've begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn't realize is that there's more at risk than a few unsolved homicides-especially when she's sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own. Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms close. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.

Think The Mentalist meets Pretty Little Liars-Jennifer Lynn Barnes's The Naturals is a gripping psychological thriller with killer appeal, a to-die-for romance, and the bones of a gritty and compelling new series.

Praise for The Naturals

"The Naturals is Criminal Minds for the YA world, and I loved every page." -New York Times best-selling author Ally Carter

* "[A] tightly paced suspense novel that will keep readers up until the wee hours to finish." -VOYA (starred review)

"This savvy thriller grabs readers right away." -Kirkus Reviews

"It's a stay-up-late-to-finish kind of book, and it doesn't disappoint." -Publishers Weekly

"In this high-adrenaline series opener...even a psychic won't anticipate all the twists and turns." -Booklist
Jennifer Lynn Barnes has written several acclaimed young adult novels. She has advanced degrees in psychology, psychiatry, and cognitive science. She received her PhD from Yale University this year and is now a professor in psychology. You can find her online at www.jenniferlynnbarnes.com or follow her on Twitter @jenlynnbarnes.
Title:The Naturals (the Naturals, Book 1)Format:PaperbackDimensions:336 pages, 8.38 × 5.62 × 0.75 inPublished:October 7, 2014Publisher:Disney-HyperionLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:1423168313

ISBN - 13:9781423168317

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Fast exciting read that leaves you wanting more I was at the cottage with my sister and she had her nose in this book for two days. Once she finished it I asked if I could read it. The next thing I know I'm staying up intill 3 oclock in the moringin reading this book. If you like Teen dectives, mystery, fast pased plots and mysterious cold cases this book is definetly for you.
Date published: 2018-07-29
Rated 5 out of 5 by from I love this book I love this book so much I have read it at least 5 times. I am always telling my friends and family about it, if you like a little mystery, quirky teenagers and series then this book is for you! you wont regret it
Date published: 2018-06-29
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Read and then Gifted! I borrowed this book from a friend of my mine after she raved about how good it was and I loved it so much I wound up buying for a different's friend's birthday. It's a good book if you're not one for mysteries/crime dramas but want to change it up
Date published: 2017-11-25
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Best Book Ever!!! I found this book at a library and I didn't know how I would feel about it but it was one of the best book I have ever read! It was a very shocking ending and it had everything you need in a book, romance, mystery, murder, humor. The plot was fantastic, you have so many different theories but you would never guess the ending.I recommend this book to anyone who needs a good read, a book where they can't put it down once they started it!
Date published: 2017-08-20
Rated 4 out of 5 by from More like 4.5! I just borrowed this book from a friend and thoroughly enjoyed it! The story has a great plot with lots of twists to keep you guessing, despite it being a fairly easy read
Date published: 2017-04-10
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Loved this book. I bought this book as Christmas present for my sister who studied criminal profiling, but I also fell in love with this series. it the perfect holiday read especially.
Date published: 2017-03-26
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Amazing A great novel. It was like a teenage version of criminal minds!
Date published: 2017-02-19
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Amazing A great novel. It was like a teenage version of criminal minds!
Date published: 2017-02-19
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Loved It! One of my favourites! Loved every page!
Date published: 2017-02-16
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Loved it! One of my favourites! Loved every page of it!
Date published: 2017-02-16
Rated 4 out of 5 by from I liked it This was an easy read, but it did not take the fun out of the mystery because it had a certain degree of profoundness in its plot. I thought the character developments were well done.
Date published: 2017-01-12
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Really cool and creepy This book was strange. For one thing, it presents these characters who have unnatural abilities, and yet it places it firmly in our own reality, down to the fact that these kids have to go through or dodge a whole bunch of red tape to even see some of the plot-worthy action - because let's face it, in reality teenagers, even ones recruited to FBI training programs, are never going to see real action. Barnes finds clever ways around this, but it's still strange. Also, there were conflicting tones to this book. When it started off, I thought it would be pretty light and easy reading - and for the most part, it was. Our main character figures things out Nancy Drew-style and agonizes over cute boys and acts like a normal teenager. And then this same girl is asked to get inside serial killer's heads. In intervening chapters, the reader is let into a serial killer's head, which is extremely disturbing. It's a strange cross between Criminal Minds and Pretty Little Liars, which was extremely disconcerting. It was really interesting, and was a fast, exciting read, but I don't really know that I liked it; it left a strange taste in my mouth. Also, weird note, but are there even as many serial killers in the world as they deal with in this book? I thought serial killers were kind of rare, to be honest. I would hope so, anyways.
Date published: 2016-12-30
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Favorite YA Mystery Thriller Read A fantastic read! The mystery in it was AWESOME. It was a really enjoyable and fun read. I guess because FBI is a huge part of this book, I kept on thinking about criminal minds while reading it. Just the aspect that they both profiles serial killers kept me continuously thinking about the two and comparing them- the show and the book. Although one is actual FBI agent and one is teens with special profiling abilities, I found that the two have so many similar aspects, and both have awesome profilers. Love it!
Date published: 2016-11-25
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Loved it! This book is fast-paced, fun, and probably one of the best YA mystery's I've read in a long time. The ending was surprising, and that's rare in YA mystery. The characters were a little cliche, but I liked them anyway. I can see how this might not be for everyone, but I loved it, and all the friend's I've recommended it to have loved it as well.
Date published: 2016-11-03
Rated 3 out of 5 by from A teenage Criminal Minds 3.5 / 5 Stars Overall I feel like this is a solid book. Good plot, interesting characters, and plenty of twists and turns so it’s not predictable. I look forward to reading more book in this series. The plot for this book is really interesting. It is like a teenager Criminal Minds meets Mentalist. But when you do it with teenagers with all the teenage angst it just makes it so much better. So the basis for this book is that there is this group of teenagers who have been recruited by the FBI to form a unit to solve cold cases. The catch is that each of the teenagers is a Natural at something whether it be a Natural lie detector, profiler, encyclopedia or emotion reader. The only problem though is that Cassie the main protagonist has caught the eye of a current serial killer who is intent on making her theirs….. Cassandra/ Cassie Hobbes is the first of the two teenage profilers and the main protagonist. We get to see her come out of her shell and into her own as she becomes a profiler. Dean Redding is the son of a serial killer with a major chip on his shoulder and the second teenage profiler in the group. Michael Townsend is a Natural at reading emotions, and he’s also the other love interest for Cassie. I don’t like Michael very much. He’s way too arrogant, gets under my skin, and he has way too much fun toying with peoples emotions. As in most young adult novels there is a love triangle. In this book it is between the main protagonist Cassie and two team members, Michael and Dean. I personally ship Team Dean in this book. Overall the characters are well rounded and fleshed out. They all seem over the top though. But I guess that’s the point when you’re a teenager. Everything is black and white and life and death. ******** SPOILERS AHEAD ******** I don’t really have too many dislikes about this book. One of my biggest dislikes is the abilities of the characters themselves. I know they’re supposed to be naturals at what they do but it seemed to be that sometimes their abilities were more supernatural than Natural. First of all I just love the premise for this story. I know it’s being touted as the teenage Criminal Minds but with all the angst there is being a teenager it makes it so much better. All that’s missing is the banter between Morgan and Garcia. The banter between Cassie and Michael just doesn’t compare. I also really like that the author has a background in psychology cause this book wouldn’t work otherwise. She uses actual profiler concepts and for newbie readers she explains them in a way that makes you feel you’re learning along with Cassie as she becomes a profiler. I LOVE the little excerpts from the killer’s POV. It gives the reader insight into the killer, clues to figure out who they are and creates suspense in the story, And it uses the proper YOU which it amazing because at times using the you makes it like the reader is the actual killer. And I also really liked the twist of Lacey being Cassie’s aunt and the serial killer. For the first time in awhile this was one thing I didn’t see coming. In most shows and book I have been able to figure out who is the killer is like a third to halfway through the novel or show, but this totally came out of left field for me. Right now there are two more books in The Naturals series. Book #2 is Killer Instinct and book #3 is All In. Keep an eye out for their reviews in the future!
Date published: 2015-09-17
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Pretty good Interesting premise and a good foray story that left me wanting to learn more about the characters. Hoping the second book focuses more on their abilities.
Date published: 2015-08-23
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Loved it! Great story line, great characters. It kept me guessing until the end and I love how profiling was brought in but the author also managed to focus on the other kids talents too. 
Date published: 2013-12-28

Editorial Reviews

"The Naturals is Criminal Minds for the YA world, and I loved every page."-New York Times best-selling author Ally Carter