The New Forest (volume 2); A Novel by Horace SmithThe New Forest (volume 2); A Novel by Horace Smith

The New Forest (volume 2); A Novel

byHorace Smith

Paperback | February 7, 2012

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Earn 140 plum® points

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1829 Excerpt: ... claret, and thin, wishy-washy French stuff, if you like if, though I don't hold 'em to be any better than so mueh bellyvengeance." "When you first talked of venison," said Henry," I concluded that you took the liberty of supplying yourselves out of the Forest or neighbouring parks." "Vast there, lad! no need of that, when the keepers fill our larder for us. Besides, d'ye think I'd have any sneaking, rascally poachers in my company, that would go a deerstalking in a gentleman's park, which is little better than flat robbery? What! old Blacklocks! old Lion Boulderson encourage poachers, and such like loose fellows? Not I! As to the King's deer, indeed, that's all fair game, and quite another guess matter. Arn't such a canting humbug as to pretend there's any harm in that, any more than in my own business of a free-trader. Lord! we've a fellow here in the Forest--Green Jemmy we call him,--'cause why?--always wears a green dress, that he may hide the better in the trees. A rare fellow that among the King's deer! and as honest as the day, for he never touches any body's else. Got a rifle that Unscrews into three pieces, and goes into his pocket; drinks with the keepers, pretends to be one of us,--hah! hah!--never suspect him--'cause why?--he han't got a gun, as they think? so he knows their haunt, cuts across the Forest, shoots a fat buck, drags him into the bushes, ups into a tree where he waits till night, and then runs into port with his prize: and in this way honest Jemmy will carry you ofF a hundred head in the year. True as ever I'm sitting here this very minute; only ask Rough-and-ready else. Jemmy would have made a capital free-trader, for he's quite the gentleman, quite one of us; only he likes dry land better than the sea. Well, but you never said, lad...
Title:The New Forest (volume 2); A NovelFormat:PaperbackDimensions:84 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.17 inPublished:February 7, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217123422

ISBN - 13:9780217123426

Reviews