The People At Number 9 by Felicity EverettThe People At Number 9 by Felicity Everett

The People At Number 9

byFelicity Everett

Paperback | May 2, 2017

Pricing and Purchase Info

$19.78 online 
$19.99 list price
Earn 99 plum® points
Quantity:

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

'Everett cleverly maintains the suspense until the final denouement . a compelling and easily readable tale of our times' - Daily MailMeet the new neighbours. Whose side are you on?When Gav and Lou move into the house next door, Sara spends days plucking up courage to say hello. The neighbours are glamorous, chaotic and just a little eccentric. They make the rest of Sara's street seem dull by comparison.When the hand of friendship is extended, Sara is delighted and flattered. Incredibly, Gav and Lou seem to see something in Sara and Neil that they admire too. In no time at all, the two couples are soulmates, sharing suppers, bottles of red wine and childcare, laughing and trading stories and secrets late into the night in one another's houses.And the more time Sara spends with Gav and Lou, the more she longs to make changes in her own life. But those changes will come at a price. Soon Gav and Lou will be asking things they've no right to ask of their neighbours, with shattering consequences for all of them.Have you met The People at Number 9? A dark and delicious novel about envy, longing and betrayal in the suburbs.
Felicity Everett grew up in Manchester and attended Sussex University. After an early career in children's publishing and freelance writing, which produced more than twenty-five works of children's fiction and non-fiction, Felicity's debut adult novel The Story of Us was published in 2011. She has just returned from four years in Austr...
Title:The People At Number 9Format:PaperbackDimensions:320 pagesPublished:May 2, 2017Publisher:HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERSLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0008216894

ISBN - 13:9780008216894

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Brilliantly observed I loved this book. It is a beautifully written and acutely observed demolition of middle-class aspiration and envy. It is funny and will remind many readers of characters from their own lives, like them or loathe them.
Date published: 2017-10-08
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Meh! The plot is ok, but not really a super interesting read. The story seems to drag on and on and on and feels like a a lame soap opera.
Date published: 2017-10-08
Rated 3 out of 5 by from People At Number 9 An okay book but not a compelling read by any means!
Date published: 2017-10-01
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Not really a suspense novel Like some of the other other reviewers have expressed, this is not a thriller or suspense novel. I kept expecting something sinister to happen or at least a twist in the plot. The characters are well drawn out, but I did not find myself rooting for any of them. Except maybe the some of the kids for having to put up with the adult characters!
Date published: 2017-09-23
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Impressive Enjoyed the plot very much
Date published: 2017-08-29
Rated 3 out of 5 by from It was okay It wasn't a bad read but not a memorable one either. It was a bit slow in places and just seemed to drag on.
Date published: 2017-08-23
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Too Pretentious Disclaimer: I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway. The book was a pretentious as its characters. It was a story, sure, but more of a slice of life than anything coherently put together. The formatting was terrible (what was with the random scene breaks?), the characters were unsympathetic, it took me a while to understand that we were only being shown one character's POV (it was that confusing telling the two women apart at first), and it was unsatisfying and pointless by the end. I don't like having wasted my time reading this as I'm none the better for it and wasn't even amused (much eyerolling was had). There isn't much to say that can't be described by my first sentence. Stupid decisions were made all around, and to add insult to injury the main character honestly felt betrayed at the end despite her own actions - and she never even admitted it to her husband. It was just a story of realization with nothing of note that anyone can gain out of reading it - not even people as foolish as the main character (as this is something even a teenager knows to look out for) because it's too late to be learning that lesson now. I wouldn't recommend this book at all. I was glad I was done reading it as it was a snort-and-an-eye roll experience the entire way through and no one would gain anything by suffering through it.
Date published: 2017-07-22
Rated 3 out of 5 by from decent although a little slow going, this was a good read
Date published: 2017-07-19
Rated 3 out of 5 by from Psychological Drama Firstly I would not classify this as a thriller, there is no mystery or suspense per se. This is a drama, a psychological drama which does have it's intense moments as far as character and storyline go. I enjoyed this read, it held my attention and kept me reading. A very real tale on the ups and downs of close friendship, relationships and marriage. Very plausible and at moments raw and relatable. I give this 3.5 stars.
Date published: 2017-07-18
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Slow book I was expecting a lot more. I found it hard to get in to and slow moving. I kept waiting for some big twists, but nothing really ever happened. It was a book that I felt I had to finish rather than one that I was excited to read.
Date published: 2017-07-18
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Too Slow This book was way too slow moving. It didn't hold my interest at all.
Date published: 2017-07-15
Rated 3 out of 5 by from Okay read Slow to start and it never really picked up. The writing was good, but the plot wasn't particularly exciting.
Date published: 2017-07-01
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Enjoyable Good read, interesting story and characters
Date published: 2017-06-20
Rated 4 out of 5 by from I liked it This was a highly enjoyable read.
Date published: 2017-06-01

Editorial Reviews

'An exciting, dark novel about friendship; brutally truthful and raw.' - Adele Parks'This was clever, relentless and utterly recognisable. I absolutely loved it!' - Katie Fforde'Very occasionally, a novel that's not in the crime genre grips me as much as the best thrillers do. The People at Number 9 held me in its vice-like grip from first page to last. It's a fascinating analysis of an unhealthy friendship based on insecurity and delusion, and the characters are so vividly drawn that I sympathised with them and despaired of them in equal measure.' - Sophie Hannah'Excruciating yet unputdownable, this is domestic noir at its most gripping.' - Woman & Home'A cautionary tale of what happens when you get caught up with the in-crowd. razor sharp dialogue, detail straight out of a Sunday supplement and a gimlet eye for social comedy. The characters and the games they play are instantly recognisable to anyone who has stood at the school gates and felt slightly out of place. I gulped it down quicker than a dirty Martini.' - Veronica Henry'Beady insights into female friendship. Irresistible, excruciating and unputdownable.' - Fanny Blake'Incisively witty, painfully true. draws the reader in with the voyeuristic joy of gossiping about our friends and neighbours, with a shocking sting in the tail to catch us all out.' - Samantha King'I LOVED it. Such an unsettling read, with a whole grass-is-greener vibe that makes it really quite creepy. The People at Number 9 has a really voyeuristic feel - like spying on your neighbours through a window. Perfect reading for a cold, dark night!' - Lisa Hall