The Philippine Islands, 1493-1803; Explorations By Early Navigators, Descriptions Of The Islands…

Paperback | October 12, 2012

byEmma Helen Blair, Edward Gaylord Bourne

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1904 edition. Excerpt: ...since all those who were not converted (who were very few) desired to become Christians; so I did as they wished. The old men, who elsewhere are usually obdurate and stubborn, and answer that they are now too old to learn the doctrine and begin a new manner of life, here used this very same argument to induce me to baptize them, saying: ' Father, consider that we are already old, and soon shall end our lives; do not let us die without baptism, since we are so anxious to be Christians.' With this good disposition on their part, I began to preach to them, and our Lord was pleased that they should all become Christians. They not only learned the doctrine, but discussed together the sermons and instructions in the church and in their houses; indeed, so concerned were they about this matter that they seemed to pay no attention to anything else. "We were greatly aided in facilitating their instruction by the method of learning by decuries which your Reverence imparted to us. Dividing them by tens, as if in classes, some learned the Paternoster, others the Ave Maria; and thus they came to acquire with much facility and ease all the prayers of the primer. I baptized one hundred and forty persons, some of whom were old men of rank. One of them was very anxious that his mother should become a Christian, and on the day when our Lord accorded him this mercy he was greatly rejoiced; he made a great feast, inviting the people to eat at his house, and furnished to them a bountiful repast. We celebrated the octave of Corpus Christi with a solemn procession, in which we bore the most blessed sacrament through the streets, which were decorated and adorned for the occasion with as much splendor as was possible. They laid all their riches and gold chains on...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1904 edition. Excerpt: ...since all those who were not converted (who were very few) desired to become Christians; so I did as they wishe...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:82 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.17 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217918441

ISBN - 13:9780217918442

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of The Philippine Islands, 1493-1803; Explorations By Early Navigators, Descriptions Of The Islands And Their Peoples, Their History And Records

Reviews