The Philippine Islands, 1493-1803 (volume 22); Explorations By Early Navigators, Descriptions Of…

Paperback | January 10, 2012

byEdward Gaylord Bourne

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1905. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... ROYAL DECREES Ordering the correction of abuses by the Augustinians The King. To Don Juan Nino de Tavora, member of my Council of War, my governor and captaingeneral of the Philipinas Islands, and president of the royal Audiencia therein: In a letter written to me by Don Fernando de Silva, in whose charge that government was ad interim, dated August four of the past year one thousand six hundred and twenty-five, he declares that there is not so great need anywhere else as in those islands for the governors to have authority to remove or promote religious teachers because of their unbridled or steady lives; and that the religious have come to lose respect, by their deeds, for the alcaldes-mayor, and pay no attention to the royal jurisdiction and patronage - especially the Augustinians who are more extravagant than the others. They are entirely masters of the wills of the Indians, and give out that in them consists the quietness or disobedience of the Indians. Inasmuch as the alcalde-mayor of Bayaban tried to moderate the excesses that were being committed, the religious entered his house, attacked him, and beat him. Another alcalde-mayor, who resides in Bulacan, having arrested two Indian seamen of my royal fleet so that they should go to serve in their places, the religious there took them from him; and every day more dangerous incidents are occurring, in which they need some intervention. It would therefore be advisable to send them the decree that was issued in the former year of six hundred and twenty-four for Nueva Espafia, ordering that the heads of the religious, especially he of St. Augustine, order the religious to restrain themselves. Notwithstanding that the said decree has been sent already to those islands, and now goes in duplicate, I order you to s...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1905. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... ROYAL DECREES Ordering the correction of abuses by the Augustinians The King. To Don Juan Nino de Tavora, member of my Council of War...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:82 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.17 inPublished:January 10, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217918468

ISBN - 13:9780217918466

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of The Philippine Islands, 1493-1803 (volume 22); Explorations By Early Navigators, Descriptions Of The Islands And Their Peoples, Their History And Reco

Reviews