The Philippine Islands, 1493-1803 (volume 1); Explorations By Early Navigators, Descriptions Of The…

Paperback | January 9, 2012

byEmma Helen Blair

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1903. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... LETTER OF CARLOS I OF SPAIN TO JUAN DE ZUNIGA -- 1523 The King: Juan de Zuniga, knight of the order of Santiago,171 my servant. I have not hitherto written you of transactions in the negotiations respecting Maluco, to which the most serene and illustrious King of Portugal, my very dear and beloved cousin, sent his ambassadors, as I believed that, our right being so apparent, the treaty would be kept with us, or at least some good method of settlement would be adopted. This the ambassadors have not cared to do, although on our part we have done everything absolutely possible -- much more than is usual between princes or relatives. I speak of this because my steadfast wish to preserve forever the kinship and love existing in the past and present between the most serene King and myself has been made manifest by my deeds. I am exceedingly sorry to find that this has been not only of no advantage, but rather, because of the meager results obtained, a disadvantage. And on this account the said ambassadors are returning without having come to any con 171 One of the great military orders of Spain, named for its patron St. James, and founded to protect his shrine at Compostella from incursions by the Moors. It received papal sanction in 1175; in 1476 Ferdinand of Castile became its grand master; thus uniting the order to the crown of Spain. elusion. By them I write to the said most serene King as you will observe in the copy of the letter enclosed herein.171* Now because you should be informed of the transactions at this discussion,-- both that you might, in our behalf, give a full account thereof to the said most serene King, and that you might discuss the same there [in Lisbon] wherever convenient,-- I have determined to put you in possession of the facts in this lette...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1903. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... LETTER OF CARLOS I OF SPAIN TO JUAN DE ZUNIGA -- 1523 The King: Juan de Zuniga, knight of the order of Santiago,171 my servant. I hav...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:88 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.18 inPublished:January 9, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217918492

ISBN - 13:9780217918497

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of The Philippine Islands, 1493-1803 (volume 1); Explorations By Early Navigators, Descriptions Of The Islands And Their Peoples, Their History And Recor

Reviews