The Project Management Advisor: 18 Major Project Screw-ups, And How To Cut Them Off At The Pass

Paperback | August 24, 2004

byLonnie Pacelli

not yet rated|write a review
With so many project management books in print, why do projects still come in late and over budget? While other books tell you how to plan, they don't explain how to save projects in real life, when things go awry. This book identifies the 18 most pervasive causes of project failure and their warning signs, explains why they happen, and shows exactly how to overcome them. Drawing on 20 years of frontline project management experience, Lonnie Pacelli shows you how to ensure you're working on the right problem, how to keep project sponsors committed, and how to ensure effective risk management. He offers hard-won insights on realistically determining a project's scope, involving the right people in cross-disciplinary teams, managing multiple project risks, and bringing each project to a strong finish. You'll discover new ways to get all your team members on the same page, streamline that endless final 10% of your projects, and reduce last-minuterework caused by unanticipated stakeholders. From start to finish, this book was crafted for working project managers. It's concise, relevant, easy to read, full of war stories, and packed with practical resources and advice to help real people cut real project problems off at the pass.

Pricing and Purchase Info

$20.99

Ships within 1-2 weeks
Ships free on orders over $25

From the Publisher

With so many project management books in print, why do projects still come in late and over budget? While other books tell you how to plan, they don't explain how to save projects in real life, when things go awry. This book identifies the 18 most pervasive causes of project failure and their warning signs, explains why they happen, an...

From the Jacket

This is your complete, hands-on guide to saving projects in trouble. Drawing on 20 years of frontline project management experience, Lonnie Pacelli identifies the 18 most pervasive causes of project failure: their causes, early warning signs, and how to fix them before it’s too late. Here’s just some of what you’ll learn... ...

Lonnie Pacelli is President of Leading on the Edge International (http://www.leadingonedge.com).  Lonnie has over 20 years leadership expertise as an executive, project manager, developer, tester, analyst, trainer, consultant, and business owner.    During his 11 years at Accenture he built leadership expertise consulting with many...

other books by Lonnie Pacelli

The Truth About Getting Your Point Across: ...and Nothing But the Truth
The Truth About Getting Your Point Across: ...and Nothi...

Kobo ebook|Jan 13 2006

$23.29 online$30.17list price(save 22%)
The Project Management Advisor: 18 Major Project Screw-Ups, and How to Cut Them off at the Pass
The Project Management Advisor: 18 Major Project Screw-...

Kobo ebook|Aug 24 2004

$20.19 online$26.23list price(save 23%)
I Need to Lead: Leadership Made Simple for Todays New Leader
I Need to Lead: Leadership Made Simple for Todays New L...

Kobo ebook|Mar 1 2011

$6.19 online$7.99list price(save 22%)
Format:PaperbackDimensions:192 pages, 9.1 × 5 × 0.5 inPublished:August 24, 2004Publisher:Pearson EducationLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0131490478

ISBN - 13:9780131490475

Customer Reviews of The Project Management Advisor: 18 Major Project Screw-ups, And How To Cut Them Off At The Pass

Reviews

Extra Content

Read from the Book

Preface Any of these sound familiar???      A critical project task that quickly gets to 90%complete and takes forever to get the last 10% done      Youre about to release your product and a stakeholderthat wasnt involved in the design jumps up and down and causes significantproduct rework      Your project team spends more time fighting andfinger-pointing than working together to get the project done As an experienced project manager,chances are youve experienced some of the above situations at least once and canprobably add several of your own bullets to the list.  If so, then I think youll enjoy The Project ManagementAdvisor.    In my 20 years experience inrunning projects as a consultant, project manager and business owner, Im proudto say that Ive experienced many project successes. But strangely enough, itsthe failures that stick at the forefront of my mind and its those projectsthat I think about whenever Im starting up a new project.  Im bound and determined not to repeatmistakes that Ive made on prior projects.  I so clearly remember that touching a hot stove hurts justas much the second time as it did the first time.  Nonetheless, Ive been back to that stove numerous timesover the yearsand have the scars to prove it! As a fellow project managementpractitioner, I wanted to write a book specifically for the experienced projectmanager that understands the fundamentals of project management but wouldbenefit from tips on how to make projects more successful.  In writing this book, I wanted todesign it to be something that a project manager doesnt just read once and puton a shelf to forever gather dust. I wanted to design it so that you could refer back to it time and timeagain depending on the specific challenges that you will be facing on yourparticular project.    Each chapter of the book centersaround a common project failure to help you avoid some of the wasted time,pain, and expense that comes with a failed project.  Each chapter is organized with icons to help you navigate thechapter and find things quickly. An >> icon is usedwherever I explain why the failure occurs.  An >> isused wherever I explain the warning signs that you should be looking for whichsignal that failure is approaching. An >> is used wherever Iexplain what you could do to turn the situation around if you start seeingwarning signs.    In addition to being an experiencedpractitioner, I am also an eager student of the art of project management andhave found that Ive been able to learn something from every project that Iveparticipated in or lead.  Id loveto hear what you have to say about the tips in this book, where they havehelped you, what war stories youve been through, and also where you disagreewith me.  Tell me what you think bygoing to my website at www.projectmanagementadvisor.comand telling me your story.   I sincerely hope that you enjoy TheProject Management Advisor as much as Ienjoyed writing it.  Surely some ofthe project failures will resonate with you and I hope that you are able totake away some helpful nuggets that you are able to use in your projects.    

Table of Contents

Preface.

Acknowledgements.

Failure #1. We Weren’t Addressing the Right Problem.

Failure #2. We Designed the Wrong Thing.

Failure #3. We Used the Wrong Technology.

Failure #4. We Didn’t Do a Good Project Schedule.

Failure #5. We Didn’t Have the Right Sponsorship.

Failure #6. The Team Didn’t Gel.

Failure #7. We Didn’t Involve the Right People.

Failure #8. We Didn’t Communicate What We Were Doing.

Failure #9. We Didn’t Pay Attention to Project Risks and Management Issues.

Failure #10. The Project Cost Much More Than Expected.

Failure #11. We Didn’t Understand and Report Progress against the Plan.

Failure #12. We Tried to Do Too Much.

Failure #13. We Didn’t Do Enough Testing.

Failure #14. We Weren’t Effective at Training the Customer.

Failure #15. We Didn’t Pull the Plug on the Project When We Should Have.

Failure #16. We Tripped at the Finish Line.

Failure #17. The Vendor Didn’t Deliver.

Failure #18. We Had No Fallback Position in Case the Product Failed.

Wrapping It Up…