The Shadow Throne: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A NielsenThe Shadow Throne: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A Nielsen

The Shadow Throne: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy

byJennifer A Nielsen

Paperback | January 27, 2015

Pricing and Purchase Info

$8.86 online 
$8.99 list price
Earn 44 plum® points

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

Jennifer A. Nielsen takes readers on an extraordinary journey in this final installment of the New York Times bestselling Ascendance Trilogy.

War has come to Carthya. It knocks at every door and window in the land. And when Jaron learns that King Vargan of Avenia has kidnapped Imogen in a plot to bring Carthya to its knees, Jaron knows it is up to him to embark on a daring rescue mission. But everything that can go wrong does.

His friends are flung far and wide across Carthya and its neighbouring lands. In a last-ditch effort to stave off what looks to be a devastating loss for the kingdom, Jaron undertakes what may be his last journey to save everything and everyone he loves. But even with his lightning-quick wit, Jaron cannot forestall the terrible danger that descends on him and his country. Along the way, will he lose what matters most? And in the end, who will sit on Carthya's throne?

JENNIFER A. NIELSEN is the acclaimed author of the New York Times and USA Today bestselling Ascendance Trilogy: The False Prince, The Runaway King, and The Shadow Throne. She has also written The Underworld Chronicles, a humorous middle-grade fantasy series. Jennifer lives in northern Utah with her husband, their three children, and a ...
A Night Divided
A Night Divided

by Jennifer A Nielsen

$18.46$19.99

In stock online

Available in stores

Mark of the Thief #3: Wrath of the Storm
Mark of the Thief #3: Wrath of the Storm

by Jennifer A Nielsen

$20.27$22.99

In stock online

Available in stores

Shop this author
Title:The Shadow Throne: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy: Book 3 of The Ascendance TrilogyFormat:PaperbackDimensions:336 pages, 7.58 × 5.28 × 0.79 inPublished:January 27, 2015Publisher:SCHOLASTIC INCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:054528418X

ISBN - 13:9780545284189

Customer Reviews of The Shadow Throne: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy: Book 3 of The Ascendance Trilogy

Reviews

Rated 2 out of 5 by from Bad third book It was too unbelievable. Jaron had to get himself out over 10 or so situations. Also no major character died during the war, only soldier 1,2, 3 etc. He was 14 and had spent four years in an orphanage and we are supposed to believe that he has so much battle strategy? The first book was the best for me and it just went down from there.
Date published: 2017-09-16
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Great conclusion This is the last in the series and was a great conclusion to a fantastic story. 5 stars and 5 thrones
Date published: 2017-04-02
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Conclusion The concluding book in the series. I found the first two books better - especially the first one, as the writing and using the first person narration to trick us was so very clever - but still, this book was great. I read it in a day as I was interested to see how the trilogy would end. I definitely recommend this series, and am interested to read other books from the same author.
Date published: 2017-01-29
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Full of lip and snark This was a fun conclusion to the trilogy. By now we know that things are not ever what they appear to be, and that Jaron has something up his sleeve, but we are compelled to keep reading just to learn HOW he will pull it off. Plus Jaron is so full of lip and snark that it's just plain entertaining. My favourite line of his: "This is my offer. I'll let you hang me twice. I won't even put up a fuss the second time."
Date published: 2017-01-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Wonderful This was an amazing conclusion to the trilogy
Date published: 2016-12-03
Rated 4 out of 5 by from A Decent Conclusion to the Trilogy Quite enjoyed the book but didn't grab my attention as the first two had. It wasn't boring whatsoever but I found it to be not as exciting or "surprising" this time around. [ SPOILERS BELOW! ] I honestly figured the entire time that Imogen was alive. So, having her show up alive in the end wasn't a surprise whatsoever. But, I did really enjoy when she and Jaron were reunited. That made me happy and I'm glad they finally got to have real kissing :D During one of the last battles, when Mott was injured, I really thought it was taking a different, more meaningful direction. I found that battle to be much more descriptive and exciting. And when Mott got stabbed, I thought he had died and I felt, for once, Jaron's pain. Not to say it wasn't great that Mott lived but I really wish he had died because it would've made things feel more realistic and maybe I could actually feel closer to Jaron. That's the one thing Jennifer A. Nielsen seemed to lack in this story... FEELING. Jaron is a great character, don't get me wrong. But very few times during my read of the trilogy did I actually FEEL what Jaron was feeling. I really wanted to have that closeness with the main character. And, I didn't. And one more little rant. I didn't mind it the first time around but WHY KEEP THINGS FROM THE READER WHEN THE MAIN CHARACTER (who is the NARRATOR) KNOWS ALREADY?! Why on earth would the narrator act like they don't know what's going on or whatever and then later reveal that they knew certain things ALL ALONG?! I really didn't care for that! Like I said, the first time around was weird but I didn't mind it. It surprised me in the end but I was still okay with it. This time, NO! Just don't do that! Don't have the character narrate a story but act like he doesn't know what's going on and the TRICK THE READER. It doesn't make sense! Anyway, other than that, the book was pretty good. Like I said, the first two were better but still a good read and one I'm sure I'd reread in the future (which is a sign that I liked the books because I NEVER reread books unless I enjoyed them quite a bit). 7 out of 10 stars (or 4 out of 5)
Date published: 2015-10-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Wonderful twists and turns! What a fantastic read ... Loved how it all came together in the end. I want to go back and read the whole series again. So good:0)
Date published: 2014-03-02

Editorial Reviews

Praise for the Ascendance Trilogy:A New York Times Notable Children's BookA Publishers Weekly Best Book of the YearA Chicago Public Library "Best of the Best" Children's BookA Cybils Award Winner"A page-turner." -The New York Times Book Review"Sage proves to be a compelling character whose sharp mind and shrewd self-possession will make readers eager to follow him into a sequel." -The Wall Street Journal"A swashbuckling origin story . . . chock-full of alluring details for adventure-loving boys." -Los Angeles Times* "An impressive, promising story." -Publishers Weekly, starred review"A fast-paced and thrilling read with twists and turns that never let up." -School Library Journal"Gripping." -Kirkus"A sure-fire mix of adventure, mystery, and suspense." -The Horn Book