The Universal Anthology (volume 25); A Collection Of The Best Literature, Ancient, Mediaeval And…

Paperback | October 12, 2012

byRichard Garnett

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1899 edition. Excerpt: ... into German. I am willing to encourage merit, sir; and as my good friend in his last letter has spoken very highly of your German acquirements, I have determined that you shall translate my book of philosophy into German." " Your book of philosophy into German, sir? " " Yes, sir; my book of philosophy into German. I am not a drug, sir, in Germany as Goethe is here, no more is my book. I intend to print the translation at Leipsic, sir; and if it turns out a profitable speculation, as I make no doubt it will, provided the translation be well executed, I will make you some remuneration. Sir, your remuneration will be determined by the success of your translation." "But, sir " " Sir," said the publisher, interrupting me, " you have heard my intentions; I consider that you ought to feel yourself highly gratified by my intentions towards you; it is not frequently that I deal with a writer, especially a young writer, as I have done with you. And now, sir, permit me to inform you that I wish to be alone. This is Sunday afternoon, sir; I never go to church, but I am in the habit of spending part of every Sunday afternoon alone--profitably I hope, sir--in musing on the magnificence of nature and the moral dignity of man." THE FRIEND OF FRIENDS. By RICHARD HENGIST HORNE. Who is the Friend of Friends?--Not one who smiles While you are prosperous, purse-full, in fair fame; Flattering, " Come, be my household's altar flame," When knowing you can bask on sunny isles: Not one who sayeth " That brain's a mighty mold," With base-coined hints about alloys in gold: Nor he who frankly tells you all your faults, But drops all merit into vampire vaults; No: the true friend stands close 'mid circling storms, When you are poor--lost--wrestling through a cloud;...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$33.50

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1899 edition. Excerpt: ... into German. I am willing to encourage merit, sir; and as my good friend in his last letter has spoken very hi...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:150 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.32 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217400639

ISBN - 13:9780217400633

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of The Universal Anthology (volume 25); A Collection Of The Best Literature, Ancient, Mediaeval And Modern

Reviews