The Universal Anthology (volume 25); A Collection Of The Best Literature, Ancient, Mediaeval And Modern by Richard GarnettThe Universal Anthology (volume 25); A Collection Of The Best Literature, Ancient, Mediaeval And Modern by Richard Garnett

The Universal Anthology (volume 25); A Collection Of The Best Literature, Ancient, Mediaeval And…

byRichard Garnett

Paperback | October 12, 2012

Pricing and Purchase Info

$33.50

Earn 168 plum® points

Prices and offers may vary in store

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1899 edition. Excerpt: ... into German. I am willing to encourage merit, sir; and as my good friend in his last letter has spoken very highly of your German acquirements, I have determined that you shall translate my book of philosophy into German." " Your book of philosophy into German, sir? " " Yes, sir; my book of philosophy into German. I am not a drug, sir, in Germany as Goethe is here, no more is my book. I intend to print the translation at Leipsic, sir; and if it turns out a profitable speculation, as I make no doubt it will, provided the translation be well executed, I will make you some remuneration. Sir, your remuneration will be determined by the success of your translation." "But, sir " " Sir," said the publisher, interrupting me, " you have heard my intentions; I consider that you ought to feel yourself highly gratified by my intentions towards you; it is not frequently that I deal with a writer, especially a young writer, as I have done with you. And now, sir, permit me to inform you that I wish to be alone. This is Sunday afternoon, sir; I never go to church, but I am in the habit of spending part of every Sunday afternoon alone--profitably I hope, sir--in musing on the magnificence of nature and the moral dignity of man." THE FRIEND OF FRIENDS. By RICHARD HENGIST HORNE. Who is the Friend of Friends?--Not one who smiles While you are prosperous, purse-full, in fair fame; Flattering, " Come, be my household's altar flame," When knowing you can bask on sunny isles: Not one who sayeth " That brain's a mighty mold," With base-coined hints about alloys in gold: Nor he who frankly tells you all your faults, But drops all merit into vampire vaults; No: the true friend stands close 'mid circling storms, When you are poor--lost--wrestling through a cloud;...
Title:The Universal Anthology (volume 25); A Collection Of The Best Literature, Ancient, Mediaeval And…Format:PaperbackDimensions:150 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.32 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217400639

ISBN - 13:9780217400633

Reviews