The White Rose: Munich, 1942-1943 by Inge SchollThe White Rose: Munich, 1942-1943 by Inge Schollsticker-burst

The White Rose: Munich, 1942-1943

byInge SchollTranslated byArthur R. SchultzOtherDorothee Soelle

Paperback | June 1, 1983

Pricing and Purchase Info

$23.95

Earn 120 plum® points

Out of stock online

Available in stores

about

The White Rose tells the story of Hans Scholl and Sophie Scholl, who in 1942 led a small underground organization of German students and professors to oppose the atrocities committed by Hitler and the Nazi Party. They named their group the White Rose, and they distributed leaflets denouncing the Nazi regime. Sophie, Hans, and a third student were caught and executed.

Written by Inge Scholl (Han's and Sophie's sister), The White Rose features letters, diary excerpts, photographs of Hans and Sophie, transcriptions of the leaflets, and accounts of the trial and execution. This is a gripping account of courage and morality.

CONTRIBUTORS: Dorthe Solle.
INGE SCHOLL is the surviving sister of Hans and Sophie Scholl.
Title:The White Rose: Munich, 1942-1943Format:PaperbackDimensions:176 pages, 8.51 × 5.52 × 0.5 inPublished:June 1, 1983Publisher:Wesleyan University PressLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0819560863

ISBN - 13:9780819560865

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews

Rated 3 out of 5 by from OK The outline of the book is a bit difficult to follow, but it does have a lot of historic value.
Date published: 2017-10-19
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Not worth the money Although this book was interesting in the information that it provided I did not however find it interesting enough to not be able to put it down. I feel that for the amount of money that i paid for the book and the size that the story would be the entire length but instead it includes documents from the court hearings which repeat themselves over and over. I would not purchase this book again nor would I recommend that anyone purchase it.
Date published: 2008-07-25
Rated 1 out of 5 by from Disappointing This book started out well enough but lost me by the mid-way mark. It seemed lacking in substance.
Date published: 2008-03-27
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A Marvelous Little Book I picked up this little book just by chance and was very glad to have done so. It is truly a marvelous little book that describes the fate of some very courageous young people in Germany during the middle of the last century who attempted to resist the terrors of the Nazi regime. I was completely unaware of the fact that there was any resistance by Germans to Hitler, and it is something that needs to be brought to the attention of the world. "The words of this book resonates more than ever with what is going on in the world today. It still takes tremondous courage to speak up against prevailing public opinion. I recommend this book to everyone!!
Date published: 2006-05-22
Rated 2 out of 5 by from The White Rose I found there were large gaps when reading this book and i would not recommend it to anyone - I was very interested in reading it and was disappointed.
Date published: 2005-04-09

Table of Contents

Illustrations
Introduction by Dorothee Sölle: The legacy of the White Rose
Leaflets of the White Rose
Concluding Remarks (1969)
Documents: Indictment Hans and Sophie Scholl and Christoph Probst, Sentence of Hans and Sophie Scholl and Christoph Probst

Editorial Reviews

“A sad and beautiful book; timely and timeless”—Wall Street Journal