WINNER OF THE BOOKS FOR A BETTER LIFE AWARD
One out of every two women will die of heart disease. It is the single greatest health risk for women today–more than stroke and all cancers combined. In the course of her practice, and as chief of Women’s Cardiac Care at New York’s Lenox Hill Hospital, Dr. Nieca Goldberg has come to a startling realization: Women experience heart disease in a fundamentally different way than men do.
The physiology of a woman’s heart attack is not the same as a man’s, the symptoms of heart disease and signs of impending heart attack differ for women, and once heart disease has been recognized, women often do not get the treatment and medications they require. Now here are detailed, age-specific programs that give women the facts and the guidance they need to recognize, treat, and prevent heart disease, including
• how you can rate your risk of heart disease
• the effects of menopause on your heart
• risk factors you can change–starting today
• a heart-healthy exercise plan that works for you
• a complete guide to heart-healthy supplements
• the truth about hormone replacement therapy and the heart
• recovering from a heart attack or surgery
Authoritative, caring, and up-to-the-minute, this is the women’s health book for the new millennium.