Theological Lectures (volume 1)

Paperback | January 10, 2012

byDavid Bogue

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1849. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... LECTURE CIX. THE LORD'S SUPPER. /. Names by which it is called. 1. The Lord's table. I Cor. 10 : 21. 2. The Lord's Supper. I Cor. 11: 20. 3. Breaking of bread. Acts, 2 : 42,46,20: 11. 4. Communion. The word communion, signifies a communion with Christ and his members. I Cor. 10 : 16. 5. A feast. I Cor. 5:8. 6. Eucharist. From giving thanks over the bread or blessing. 7. Sacrament. This signifies an oath. //. The author of the Sacrament is Jesus Christ. I Cor. 11: 23, 24. 1. Christ as the Sovereign and Head of the Church, has authority to institute the sacraments. 2. Christ alone has authority to do this. No man or body of men has the shadow of a right. 3. Christ's institution makes it a sacrament. 4. Christ alone can bless it. Til. Of the time of the institution and place. 1. As Christ would fulfil all the legal righteousness, it could not be done till near his death. 2. It was in the same night in which he was betrayed, and a seal to his will, as a memorial left to his disciples. I Cor. 11: 23. 3. At the end of the Paschal Supper. The type precedes the antitype. Exod. 12. 4. The place. Upper room. IV. Of the elements. Bread and wine. 1. Bread is the most common food. 1. As bread is the stafl of life, nourishing to the body, so is Christ's body for the nourishment of the soul. John, 6 : 56. 2. An apt representation oi the broken body of Christ. 2. Wine which was common in those countries. 1. An agreeable and cheerful drink. 2. An apt representation of the Gospel. 3. Both elements are simple, but generous and good. 4. Both bread and wine are used that they may more fully represf-nt Christ's death and sufferings. V. Sacramental actions. Their signification. 1. Of the dispensor. 1. He took the bread and the cup. What is signified by this 1 Signifies God the Father,...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1849. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... LECTURE CIX. THE LORD'S SUPPER. /. Names by which it is called. 1. The Lord's table. I Cor. 10 : 21. 2. The Lord's Supper. I Cor. 11:...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:98 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.2 inPublished:January 10, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217900623

ISBN - 13:9780217900621

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Theological Lectures (volume 1)

Reviews