What does top-notch, learning-centered teaching look like in science? To move from competence to excellence, what should teachers know and be able to do? Tools & Traits for Highly Effective Science Teaching, K–8 answers those questions and shows you how to make powerful practices part of your science instruction.
Even if you have little formal training or background knowledge in science, Tools & Traits for Highly Effective Science Teaching, K–8 pulls together cognitive and educational research to present an indispensable framework for science in the elementary and middle grades. You’ll discover teaching that increases students’ engagement and makes them enthusiastic participants in their own science learning.
Tools & Traits for Highly Effective Science Teaching, K–8 answers vital and frequently asked questions:
- How do you structure inquiry-oriented lessons?
- What assessment probes and seamless formative assessments work best?
- What is integration and what is it not?
- How can literacy be powerfully linked to science learning?
- How do you manage activity-based learning?
- How do you provide science for students with various abilities. language proficiencies, and special needs?
Its practical, proven, and research-based advice helps you understand what strong science teaching looks like and gives you the repertoire of skills you need to implement it in your classroom.
The National Science Education Standards say that “everyone deserves to share in the excitement and personal fulfillment that can come from understanding and learning about the natural world.” Whether you are reassessing your own teaching or examining it in light of state and federal science-education mandates, Tools & Traits for Highly Effective Science Teaching, K–8 will make a difference in your teaching and in your students’ lives.