Travels During The Years 1787, 1788, And 1789; Undertaken More Particularly With A View Of Ascertaining The Cultivation, Wealth, Resources, And Nation by Arthur YoungTravels During The Years 1787, 1788, And 1789; Undertaken More Particularly With A View Of Ascertaining The Cultivation, Wealth, Resources, And Nation by Arthur Young

Travels During The Years 1787, 1788, And 1789; Undertaken More Particularly With A View Of…

byArthur Young

Paperback | October 12, 2012

Pricing and Purchase Info

$49.50

Earn 248 plum® points

Prices and offers may vary in store

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1792 edition. Excerpt: ...are, I think, cleaner and wifer than the Englifh: that the change mayTje" inceffant, it is every where coarfe. The idea of dining without a napkin feems ridiculous to a Frenchman, but in England we dine at the tables of people of tolerable fortune, without them. A journeyman carpenter in France hashis napkin as regularly as his fork; and at an inn, the///? always lays a clean one to to every cover that is fpread in the kitchen, for the loweft order of pedeftrian travellers. The expence of linen in England is enormous, from its finenefs; furely a great change of that which is coarfe, would be much more rational. In point of cleanlinefs, I think the merit of the two nations is divided; the French are cleaner in their perfons, and the Englifh in their houfes; I fpeak oFffie mafs of the people, and not of individuals of confiderable fortune. A bidet in France is as univerfally in every apartment, as a bafon to wafh your hands, which is a trait of perfonal cleanlinefs I wifh more common in England on the other hand their necefiary houfes are temples of abomination; and the practice of fpitting about a room, which is amongft the higheft'as'well as the loweft ranks, is deteftable: I have feen a gentleman fpit fo near the cloaths of a dutchefs, that I have flared at his unconcern. In every thing that concerns the (tables, the Englifh far exceed the French; horfes, grooms, harnefs, and change of equipage; in the provinces you fee cabriolets undoubtedly of the laft century; an Englifhman, however fmall his fortune may be, will not be feen in a carriage of the fafhion of forty years paft; if he cannot have another, he will walk on foot. It is not true that there are no complete equipages at Paris, I have feen many; the carnage, horfes, harnefs, and...
Title:Travels During The Years 1787, 1788, And 1789; Undertaken More Particularly With A View Of…Format:PaperbackDimensions:272 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.57 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217647502

ISBN - 13:9780217647502

Reviews