Tropical Mariculturetakes an in-depth look at developmental activities in a growing industry striving towards sustainability and environmental integrity. All of the contributors to this book have considerable experience and expertise in the field of tropical mariculture, and this is the first book to bring expert contributions together. The topics covered are wide and varied, ranging from general issues such as the impact of mariculture on coastal ecosystems to genetic improvement of cultured marine species, as well as the specifics of breeding selected marine species of current importance, such as groupers and sea bass. Significant coverage is also given to the problems of larval rearing in inland aquaculture as well as the demands of water- and land-based resources in a tropical environment. This book will be essential for everyone working in and researching tropical mariculture.
* Looks at developmental activities in tropical mariculture
* All of the contributors are experts in the field
* Covers specific breeding problems and larval rearing
* Studies the environmental impact of inland aquacultural activities
* Provides detailed examples of cultivated species in the tropics
* Compiles mariculture strategies and discusses example species
* First book to give an overview of tropical mariculture