Varieties In Prose Volume 2

Paperback | May 7, 2012

byWilliam Allingham

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1893 Excerpt: ...It stands on the shore of the lordly Firth of Clyde, mountain-bordered, gay with a constant stir of ships and boats, has good bathing (without boxes or botherations, in spite of much building, for the coast-line is of grand extent), rural walks inland; and you have but to step aboard a steamer to be wafted away through magnificent scenery to Lomond and its sister lakes, to Ayr and the land of Burns, to Oban and the Hebrides, or, if you have need of it, to the great City with its shops and crowds, lying unseen and unheard at the back of those eastern hills. I walked a couple of miles inland to a rough heathery knoll, and, lying under the fir trees, enjoyed the vast prospect; southward spread the sea shut in with mountains; to the north rose those peaks round the head of Loch Long, which I had left in the morning; and near at hand was visible the Holy Loch, a branch of Loch Long, on whose shore is the family burial-place of the Argyle family. The young Heir of the Campbells and his Princess-Bride were coming to Inverary in a few days. And a few years hence--but let me not Hamletise on the subject of a honeymoon, this golden August evening, amidst the splendour of sea, sky, and mountains. On the shore at Dunoon stands the Castle-hill, with its fragments of ancient wall, commanding another glorious prospect of the grand ocean lake, and from this I saw the coloured sunset melt and fade over the peaks of Arran, and the stars kindle, answered by the near lights in the anchored ships. Later, for one never could have enough of such weather and such a place, I wandered along the margin of the flowing tide, filled with phosphorescence to a wonderful degree, every ripple along the endless beach alive with diamond sparkles; hand or stick moving in the water drew after i...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1893 Excerpt: ...It stands on the shore of the lordly Firth of Clyde, mountain-bordered, gay with a constant stir of ships and boats, has good ba...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:82 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.17 inPublished:May 7, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217142141

ISBN - 13:9780217142144

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Varieties In Prose Volume 2

Reviews