Venice (volume 1)

Paperback | February 2, 2012

byGrant Allen

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1911. Excerpt: ... would such a practice appear in some of our public services and institutions! But though from the practical side it is possible to offer these explanations, from the poetical we cannot be surprised at the extreme horror of old age felt by the Greek poets, how they loaded it with imprecations, and reviled it as the most certain and most awful of human miseries. With their keen love of enjoyment, and appreciation of beauty, we can well imagine how bitterly they felt the passing away of youth, and on no subject have they at all times spoken with more heartfelt utterance. I have spoken above (p. 119) of this sentiment among the lyric poets. Everybody knows the great chorus in Sophocles' later CEdipus, which has been so often translated, and will ever be tempting other hands to essay the mastery of its Protean beauties. I prefer to conclude this chapter with an English version of a less known, but not less characteristic chorus, that in Euripides' Hercules Furens on the miseries of old age. I have again to thank my friend Professor Webb for having translated it especially for this place. It speaks the same language which we find in Mimnermus, in Solon, in Theognis--that ingrained horror of a keen sensitive race against the condition of life which destroys beauty and mars enjoyment. It is thus one of those passages in Euripides which are in peculiar relation and in intimate sympathy a man in direct proportion to his age. This seems to have been the case in ancient Egypt also, as appears from various documents. (Cp. my Prolegomena io Ane. Hist. p. 280.) with the whole nation, and which secured his widespread and lasting fame:--'If the high Gods would give me a guerdon, Be it youth ere its forces are fled; For age is a wearisome burden, An Aetna that lies on the ...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$29.50

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1911. Excerpt: ... would such a practice appear in some of our public services and institutions! But though from the practical side it is possibl...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:120 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.25 inPublished:February 2, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217142303

ISBN - 13:9780217142304

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Venice (volume 1)

Reviews