Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions, Grades K-8 “This assessment system makes progress in writing as transparent, concrete, and obtainable as possible and puts ownership for this progress into the hands of learners. This system of assessment allows students and teachers to work toward a very clear image of what good work entails.”
— Lucy Calkins
Lucy Calkins’ ground-breaking performance assessments and learning progressions from the Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing series have been reformatted to support any writing curriculum.
Designed as an instructional tool, Writing Pathwayswill help you provide students with continuous assessment, timely feedback, and clear goals. Organized around a K–6 continuum of learning progressions for opinion, information, and narrative writing, this practical guide includes:
• learning progressions for each kind of writing map the specific benchmarks students will master as they move through each stage of development
• student checklists, based on a grade-specific portion of the learning progressions, help students set goals and self-assess their work
• student writing samples illustrate different ways students have exemplified the standard and highlight essential features of each writing genre
• rubrics help professional learning communities evaluate mastery and plan instruction for large groups of students
• exemplar pieces of writing highlight the grade-specific traits you can expect to see at each level of the learning progressions
• on-demand writing prompts support schoolwide assessment.